Saturday, October 21, 2006

the state of things

I am at KD's, as I think you all know. I arrived on Tuesday and will be leaving tomorrow. KD and his wife have graciously let me impose upon them for nearly a week now, but I'm really, really, really hopeful that I won't need to come again.

This has been no where near the cake walk (to use an analogy from a talk KD and I had the other night) I expected. There have been feelings I wasn't prepared for, of course, but I'm not even going to try to go into those here and now. I'm talking pure logistics. I ovulated abnormally early last month, causing me to panic and take nearly a week off work to come out here way early in fear of missing the window, so of course this month, I ovulated late. Should've seen that one coming. So, I had to change my flight and my rental car to stay an extra day. However, I did finally get a positive ovulation predictor yesterday afternoon at 2pm which means that we have managed to catch the critical time frame, praise the deity of your choice. Due to certain TMI factors that I will spare you, I'm fairly certain that the insemination we did last night could not have been timed better. We've got one more shot tonight, which makes me feel even more confident, but I think even without that I'd be feeling pretty good. Of course, you can time everything 110% perfectly and still not get pregnant, so I have no idea how this will all turn out, but after last night and the decision to stay one more day, I can safely say I think we're giving it the best shot possible. I am cautiously optimistic. :-)

By the way, we have been searching for the appropriate idiom to refer to this whole little process. Our friend A has suggested "basting" and/or "getting basted", drawing from the urban legend of the lesbian turkey-baster. A friend of KD's suggested that I am on a "business trip" and the exchanges between KD and I are "business meetings." We've been trying that one out quite a bit. So far, so good.

No comments: