Saturday, September 3, 2011

imaginary crisis averted

Thanks for your thoughtful comments and encouragement on my last post. I couldn't get an audience with my RE (that place is like Fort Knox sometimes) but I talked to the nurse who confirmed what we all thought: After all of the pre-screening the donors go through, the only variable left that might make someone a relatively better or worse donor is sperm count, and that is a moot point for IVF. So, we're going for it. And I feel good about it, thanks in large part to all of you.

Stims were pushed back a day to keep my first blood draw off their holiday workload, so we'll start tonight. I'm ready to get this show on the road!

2 comments:

anofferingoflove said...

Eeeee! So exciting!
I keep picturing you with twins from this cycle... :-D

tbean said...

Never got a chance to comment mid-crisis but I did read about the dilemma when it was going on. ANd it prompted me to muse over whether or not we had had the same problem when we started IVF 1. Unlike you, we have had SIX donors (5 unknown frozen and 1 KD) so our approach to donor selection was...shall we say...a little more laissez-faire. That being said, we only had one hard and fast criteria and that was: reported pregnancies. And then, when we were choosing donor 6 for IVF 2 years ago, I'm pretty sure we found ourselves with the same problem. He was the one we wanted to choose but he didn't have any reported pregnancies. Here's what's ironic about that. Now, 2 years later, I CAN'T REMEMBER if that was the case or not. I mean seriously...I don't remember. So that is a happy ending about how not a big deal that decision ended up being. Imagine one day in 2013 not remembering going through the agony of this dilemma while you are sitting on the floor playing with E and his sibling! At any rate, I asked S. and she is pretty sure that he DID NOT have any reported pregnancies and we picked him anyway because IVF makes it a non-issue. (Especially so b/c our IVF was going to do ICSI no matter what.) At any rate...I'm excited for you and cheering you on girl!