Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Well, that day shaved a good year off my life.

Oh dear, I'm exaggerating again. Let's go with... 8.5 months? Yeah, that sounds good.

I've been trying to get in touch with the lab director at the RE's office for a few days. KD is coming to town tomorrow and we need to get all our ducks in a row regarding his infectous disease screening so that his stored vials can clear quarantine. I finally caught her by phone today and - long story short - they won't even schedule his tests until they receive copies of a bazillion test results. Fine. I called the cryobank where they completed most of his tests. They can't fax anything to me or the doctor without a release. Duh. I work in healthcare. I know this. Clearly I'm not firing on all cylinders right now. I called KD and got a fax number so the cryobank can send him a release so he can sign and send it back so they can send a report to the lab saying he isn't sick and never was. *sigh*

In the meantime, I started trying to track down the other half of his lab reports: The STD screening he did with his own physician before we even got started. The only thing I could think of was for KD to get these from his doctor before he comes, but he's leaving for the airport at 3am tomorrow (yes, 3am) and today was his last day at work before taking two days off. It was pretty unlikely that he'd have time to run over to his doctor's office this afternoon to dig up old medical records. Still, I asked him to do exactly that because I - apparently - know no limits in my ruthless quest for parenthood. In the meantime, I started thinking about the letters we got from his physician waaay back when and it occured to me that I never heard for sure that his doctor did a chlamydia or gonorrhea screen. HIV, yes. Hepatitis, yes. Syphilis, yes. And then there were a bunch of other random tests that might have included G & C... or maybe not. So, I called KD again and asked him to start by calling his physician and asking if they even did those tests because if they didn't, this whole thing is moot. My RE's nurse had already informed me that if I couldn't produce the full list of pre-quarantine tests, we'd have to start over from scratch, including new samples and a new 6 month waiting period. (Cue anxiety attack... here.)

The next hour or so was spent waiting to hear back from people and attempting to actually work at work (you know, between the mad dashes to the conference room while whispering 'just a moment' to the person who just called my cell phone to talk to me about sperm and STDs). Finally, the nurse from the RE's office called again and said she'd reviewed my chart, was all caught up on our situation now, and was able to be a bit more flexible. She said she hadn't realized initially that KD was M's brother and we were trying to preserve a biological connection to M. I also, by this time, had a definite list of the tests that had been run by the cryobank and was able to assure her that the results should be coming to her over the fax machine in hours, or perhaps minutes. She said as long as they received those, we'd be good to go, and she let me make an appointment for the repeat screening. I asked her about the STDs and mentioned that we were having trouble getting those records before Friday and she said - imagine this! - there is something called a legal release that I can sign saying I accept responsibility for any STDs I may contract from his samples. If I am willing to sign that, they do not need copies of any pre-quarantine STD tests. What a concept! I have been asking for that damn form for over a year and all of a sudden, it appears out of thin air.

Not one to look a gift horse in the mouth, I thanked her profusely, confirmed one more time that there is nothing else they need, and got the heck off the phone. I think this actually may work. Unbelievable.

I'm completely and totally exhausted. I'm also completely and totally relieved with how things worked out. It was looking a little iffy there for a while.

I pick KD up at the airport tomorrow afternoon. Let the games begin. Again.


Inlocoparentis said...

Good lord, the stress. WHY DOES IT HAVE TO BE SO DAMN STRESSFUL?? Something I have learned in this process is there is no way to prevent these kind of things from happening, no matter how much you plan and plan and plan some more. You just have to wait to see what the catastrophe is going to be.

With that being said, I wish you guys the very best luck in the world!!!

Meegs said...

Yipes... what a crazy process! But glad it at least all ended well.

Good luck!

Mrs. Bluemont said...

Know No Limits! I'm so proud of you love. It's all going to pay off. I'm all crossed for a lucky weekend!