Friday, December 10, 2010

benched

Since I broke my own gag order about the FET, I'll let you in on the latest chapter so you aren't looking for an outcome report any time soon.

Today was supposed to be transfer day. Today was the day I was supposed to lay on a table with an overfull bladder and watch two flashes of light on an ultrasound screen. M and I both had the day off, my acupuncturist was on standby, and I went to bed Wednesday night in excited disbelief that it was so close. Then yesterday, I woke up with Elliot's stomach flu and puked my guts (and meds) out all day. I guess my body had been doing a good job of holding it at bay, but then I started the pre-transfer prednisone which handicapped my immune system and WHAM. My RE ruled that my body was not ready to go through with the transfer today, and as much as it killed me to hear it, I knew she was right. And with that, 3+ weeks of medications, monitoring and anticipation went out the window. We have to start all over. Icing on the cake? There's a high probability AF will show during the clinic's holiday closure which would mean having to wait another full cycle because they want to scan me on CD2 or 3. There's a chance we'll be into February before we get another shot at a transfer. The original plan was to transfer in October. October. Two days ago, we thought we'd have results by Christmas. Now, we're nowhere. We're not even back at the starting line yet.


I'm planning to argue with them on that early cycle ultrasound. I didn't have one for this cycle and I'm not sure why I would need one for the next cycle. I guess because of the hormone preparation I did? M had the idea to keep doing the PIO for another week to keep AF at bay. I'm still on the fence about this one. I thought it was a great idea, but then I was feeling so sore and achy last night (stomach flu, remember?) that we skipped it. In hindsight I wish we hadn't, but we did, and I kind of feel like my body has kind of been through enough without jerking it on and off progesterone. *sigh* Anyone have thoughts? I'm feeling too defeated by the whole thing to see the right answer in all of this.

10 comments:

wishinghopingpraying said...

The somach flu is so awful on it's own but when you add this hideous timing...ugh. I am so sorry you are ill and facing a long wait to start again. How frustrating! I don't have much advice but the continuous PIO might not be such a bad idea.Feel better!

veeandjay said...

Ack! How frustrating.

anofferingoflove said...

Oh fuck. That is beyond frustrating, after all those prep weeks. So sorry to read this post :(

It seems like you should be able to wiggle around that 1st monitoring u/s. Maybe the person you spoke with was thinking of a fresh protocol? Your ovaries really have very little to do with a FET, afterall.

Hope this time speeds by and you are back on track soon. ((()))

anofferingoflove said...

PS. February FETs and October babies (or if they are late, November babies) are awesome. ;-)

Inlocoparentis said...

Oh, damn it. I'm really sorry. That just royally sucks.

jessie said...

So sorry for the flu and that it has pushed back your plans. No feedback about the ultrasound but I hope that you don't have to worry about it!

I just realized that your donor is M's brother. How cool!

Elise said...

((hugs)) Sorry about the speed bump and I hope you feel better soon - you'll get there.

Katie said...

Sucky. I can imagine how frustrating that is, especially after all you put your body through this time, and the thought of waiting must be maddening. I have no advice but just wanted to send a virtual hug. :)

Emily said...

blah how frustrating. I hope the next cycle works out for you.

tbean said...

Oh man...K...that SUCKS big time. I'm sorry you had your transfer canceled at the last minute. All that build up...so beyond frustrating. I hope time passes quickly and you get to transfer soon and it all feels like exactly the right timing (in retrospect).