Monday, January 4, 2010

one from the vault

But before that...

I wrote and posted so quickly last night, I forgot to thank you all for your insightful comments (and name compliments :-) ) on my previous post. I should have known that not only would you totally "get it", you'd help me to make more sense of it all as well. You guys rock.

I decided over the weekend to start trying to tag (or "label" as blogger would have me call it) my archives. I'm approaching post #300 and it's getting harder and harder for me to even remember what I've written, let alone find anything useful in the heap of words in my wake. It'll be a slow process, I'm sure, but I've started it. While doing so, I revisited some old posts including this one.

March 14, 2008. A Friday. An unremarkable day, but for the trial embryo transfer I had that morning.

It made me feel all warm and fuzzy to know that I was observing Elliot Day even before it was Elliot Day. For the rest of my life, March 14th will be a day that belongs to our son, and on that day, even before it was That Day, it was already all about him. I was taking yet another step in the journey of creating him. If only I'd known that morning. Can you imagine what it would have felt like if someone had sat down next to me in the waiting room and said "Don't worry. This is all going to be worth it. Exactly one year from this very moment, you will be in a hospital bed a few blocks away, having given birth to a beautiful baby boy only hours earlier." It gives me goosebumps to think of it.

We truly never know what is right around the corner, do we? The person who wrote that post on 3/14/08 could barely dare to dream what 3/14/09 would bring.

1 comment:

anofferingoflove said...

i feel the same way about early november -- one year a m/c, the next the birth of our daughter. while in the midst of IF, it seems so insurmountable and never-ending...

beautiful post.